Globalization has lead to the creation of social networks that center around one of the central human values (interests, universality, freedom, and deep meaning). The difference between nationalism and postnationalism is that it is impossible to approach nationalism without some form of moral judgment. Also, nationalism is singular in character. Postnationalism encompasses much more than nationalism. It offers multiple venues for solidarity. Nationalism is very costly and very destructive. Postnationalism is concerned with the way in which questions of collective identity are being reworked and is a more specific outcome of globalization. National solidarities started to decline in Europe (where nationalism was introduced) after World War II. In order to reach post nationalism, principles must be met including the dilution of sovereignty. The emphasis upon sovereignty guaranteed war. It also required a specific strategy, which underpinned the birth of postnationalsim.
The United States also experienced post nationalistic ways. The United States initially seemed to harbour the building materials for post national culture. However, The Cold Way ended abruptly and left the warriors with no idea of what to do because there was no fight. On the American side of the Atlantic, a new form of imperialism formed because the state existed at a much greater level than is warranted by its capacity for rational action or ordinary social mandates. There are six major irrational features of new imperialism.
1. The coercive capacity of the imperial state has not diminished.
2. The imperial state has maintained and even redoubled its commitment to a hierarchical vision.
3. The imperial state continues to assert a common national interest and unified national purpose,
4. The new imperialism insists upon isolating the vanquished and rendering large markets and investment opportunities inaccessible to global capitalism.
5. The imperial state has responded by reducing its social responsibilities.
6. The categories defining conflict and coexistence shifted from economic to cultural ones.
Post nationalistic culture is fragmented rather than wholistic like nationalism. It is also not coterminous with state ideology and approaches all given identities as fetters and emphasizes expansive action in the world. European trajectory toward postnationalism suggests the priority of state action. There are four starting points for post nationalism solidarities. These include:
1. Spiritual solidarities
2. Material solidarities
3. Humanist solidarities
4. Life-emancipator solidarities