Friday, December 4, 2009

Westernization

From the reading this week, the Halle article briefly mentioned Westernization or McDonaldization. While I think McDonalds is primarily McCrap, I think it is important that other countries desire to be like the West. That is not to say that they want to be completel the same. I read somewhere that in Japan they actually offer different items Like the Teriyaki McBurger and Ebi Filet-O (Shrimp burger). Also, one website claims that “french fries can be purchased in barbecue, seaweed, and Italian basil flavor”. These items suggest that while Japan adopts Western culture, like McDonalds, it does so but with its own ideas and unique items.
Also I feel like we, the West, adopt culture from other countries however it is to a much lesser extent. Suddenly Indian culture is gaining in popularity here. Movies like “Slumdog Millionaire”, belly-dancing, Eastern religion (Buddhism) are popular in America.
So while I feel like the United States is criticized for Westernizing the rest of the world, I feel that we should be cut some lack.

No comments:

Post a Comment